Trailblazer. Artist. Shakti woman.
Hi. Talyaa here.
My purpose is centered in the “beingness” of women — how we manifest our lives as embodied spirit. Through my art I teach women to:
- create supportive sisterhood
- go inward to find the love that we are and to take that love and grow it outward
- cultivate inner Goddess traits so we can bring them into the world like ripples flowing from a stone dropped into a still lake
My story speaks for many women. I came from a place of shame for my desires and my body. I thought men would hurt me and that mothers must sacrifice for their children. Many women face similar beliefs and issues. My work helps heal these deep wounds, releasing shame and anger, and reclaiming power as women embodying Spirit.
I’m kicking Stage 4 cancer. On July 28, 2012, doctors told me I had only a few months to live. Stage 4 metastatic melanoma. It’s in your brain, they said, shaking their heads sadly and sending me home to die.
They didn’t know who they were dealing with.
Healing a body and mind from near-death is no cakewalk. Weakened and close to death, many days all I could do was lie on the bathroom floor, sobbing from pain and hopelessness. I knew that if I wanted to live I had to do three things:
HEAL my emotional patterns and blocks.
Carve new pathways to SPIRIT.
Discover my dharma, my life’s PURPOSE.
And to do these three things, first I had to decide — once and for all — whether or not I really wanted to live. You’d think this should be a no-brainer (aren’t we hardwired to live?) but my mind had been sending death thoughts to my body for a long time.
Fast forward through the hardest year of my life. But I was far from alone. I would not be here if my beloved was not bound and determined to save me, and to break rules and make his own cancer-healing rules if need be. We had to break rules. Take my life into our own hands. Become warriors like never before.
And while I was still living after months of juicing and coffee enemas and home IVs and research, I wasn’t yet alive. Something still had to change.
Tantra saved my life.
My purpose is to help women and men remember their magnificence. To embrace the Divine Feminine that dwells within all of us. I see god/goddess in you.
Women are the mothers of the universe. We are the holders and the creators of the sacred. But we forgot how powerful we are. We forgot our inner Goddess nature.
How do we remember? By coming together in sisterhood. By luxuriating in our sensual, sexual selves. By finding our true voices. By taking back the joy in learning. And by being a powerful force in relationship. Women are the being.
Men are the doing. The awakened, conscious man instinctively knows that he was born to penetrate the world with his gifts. He is the shore that stands strong for the waves of woman to crash upon. An awakened man is the soul of the world. But in all the doing, men often forget this.
How does a man remember he is a spark of the divine? By learning to love his vulnerabilities. By letting a woman see the god within. By trusting the still, small voice inside. By taking ownership of his sexual nature. And by expressing his inner god-nature through sharing his gifts with the world.
The world needs you.
What makes me different?
I’ve been through some hard stuff. Human stuff. Marriages and tough relationships with emotional Neanderthals. Kid with special needs. Being a mother from 3000 miles away. Self-criticism up the wazoo. Cancer, duh. It’s not always easy to love what I find when I look deep, but loving that ugliness is the path to discover g more beauty.
Call me Google Queen, but things interest me. I am always looking for the why. Plus: this world is so cool, how can I not be curious about it? Bonus: I know about a ton of stuff.
Real courage is doing the hard stuff day after day after day, even if you’d rather watch last season’s Downton Abbey all day. Courage is looking your deepest fears in the eye and telling them they’re not the boss of you. Courage is tirelessly working to be MORE of who you are, every single damn day.
I believe in limitless possibilities. I’ve seen and experienced some amazing things. My ability to tap into limitlessness helps you give voice to your own sense of possibility. At the same time, I’m exploring — deeply — what it is to be human. I believe we find our divinity when we truly look into ourselves and one other.
Tireless Drive For Authenticity
I turned 50 this year and am just now discovering the freedom that comes from being authentic. I won’t stop until I get it right. Even though it sometimes scares the shit out of me.
Labels I’m keeping:
- Kick-ass smart
- Word wrangler
- Improv artist
- Seer of souls
- Sister to goddesses
- Elfin queen
- Deep listener
- Martial artist
- Soul Friend
- Mother Who Runs With The Wolves
- Life Remasterer
- Maker up of words to suit my whim
Totally worth keeping. Thank you (takes a bow).
A sprinkling of sparkly spiritual experiences!
Moments when everything fell away and I knew capital-T Truth.
- 45 minutes experiencing — on every level — the absolute oneness of everything: fence posts; my car’s steering wheel; other drivers. Yes, I was driving at the time. Might rethink that if it happens again.
- Two weeks of utter bliss, happiness, peace, and wonderment following a rebirthing session in which I received messages from my dead friend Chris, my dead boss Bob, and dead John Lennon.
- Pulling an all-night dark-night-of-the-soul plunge during a 10-day Vipassana meditation retreat and waking up to find out the world had changed.
- Traveling through time and space to a freaky version of 20,000 years ago while standing still in a portal in an urban forest in Vancouver BC.
- Tripping on shrooms while lying on my bed at age 16, windows flung open, and breathing with my front-yard trees all night.
- Hiking Stimpson Nature Reserve in Bellingham WA and hearing the voices of my inner guidance tell me what would happen in the next several months of my life. I did not believe them about the cancer.
Things you might not believe about me
Quirky AND true!
- Although I was an honors student, I almost didn’t graduate from high school because I was too shy to walk into a class late and face a roomful of near-strangers looking at me.
- At 15, I devoured personal development and self-help books, sure that I was destined to become the Next Big Multi-Level Marketing Star.
- While I was being robbed at gunpoint at age 16, I couldn’t help but be snarky to the robber.
- The Real Me is a cross between my Facebook and my Pinterest. Go! Friend me now!
- One day my wardrobe will consist almost entirely of Gypsy/Pirate Steampunk attire.
- I am more than halfway towards a Black Belt in 8 styles of traditional martial arts through Oom Yung Doe, a kick-ass mind-body practice that is changing my life and turning me into an athlete.
Thanks for being here. I adore you.